Counting since 9.11.2005
Copyright © 1996-2007 by Prof. Timo Salmi
Last modified Sun 25-Feb-2007 20:04:39
What uploads will Garbo automatically reject?
1) Games are accepted only in special cases. Educational games have
been welcome, including good games of wit. Solely recreational
games, or their support programs and files are not acceptable. We
have no age limit for the educational games.
2) Demonstration versions of fully commercial programs are accepted
only in very rare cases of general interest. This is because there
is no reason why we should carry a part of the marketing costs of
3) Programs with partial distribution restrictions are not
acceptable, since we cannot impose such limitations on our
downloaders. For example we do not accept shareware packages that
set any such precondition which would prevent the distribution on a
Garbo CD-ROM. Whether there ever will be one in the future or not.
If you are uncertain, ask us first!
4) We wish to offer our downloaders fully developed versions. No
alpha or beta test versions will be accepted.
5) Recreational Gif pictures will not be accepted. Neither will
recreational animations (often in .fli or .gl format).
6) We are a university site with a serious scientific orientation.
As this implies, we do not carry fringe-science material like
astrology, numerology, let alone UFO stories, paranormality or other
popular nonsense augury or cult programs or material.
7) Religious, political, support a cause, comparable, and/or
controversial material is not welcome at all. This absolute refusal
also applies to embedding such material within utility packages.
Please do not try to deceive us in this respect. We do not take to
8) Program cracks, trojans, programs with deliberate viruses, let
alone pirated commercial material are strictly forbidden. A
malicious uploader of such material faces being banned for good from
Garbo by having his/her address being put on our system's permanent
"access refused" list.
9) Garbo's required packing method is (PK)ZIP. Preferably use
version 2.04G (or Info-ZIP's compatible zip). Other archiver methods
(and plain text files) are deleted automatically from Garbo's upload
directories by an autodaemon script. (In the case of compression
packages contact first Garbo's moderators for arranging .exe
Another, partly overlapping list. The decisions are not entirely
mechanical. There is a degree of judgment involved.
- We are a university site. We do not take material that involves
scientific non-sense like for example horoscope, numerology
and such augury programs.
- We do not wish to carry religious or similar material or programs.
- Fair or not we do not carry programs or material which are
under public controversy (e.g. virus making programs).
- We do not accept programs that do not allow distribution on a
commercial CD-ROM or require special arrangements with the
CD-ROM vendors or with us. Even if it is highly unlikely that
there will be a Garbo CD-ROM in the future, the item stands.
- Most often Garbo no material taken which requires a special
enhancer loaded before it runs.
- We do not take new material that requires special equipment to
run like some exotic chips or sound cards (i.e. programs that
we can't possibly test).
- Demo versions of fully commercial programs are accepted only
in cases of exceptional interest (to us, not to the uploader :-)
- Beta test versions are not carried.
- Certain types of expireware are not accepted: Programs
expiring at a certain, prefixed date.
- Excessively crippled or excessively nagging programs are
- Program cracks are not acceptable (with the exception of
executable uncompression because of virus checking needs).
- Programs that are of narrow, and from our point of view remote,
interest (e.g. American football or baseball related
programs) are not invited.
- We do not take recreational games, only educational.
- We do not take new BBS programs or utilities.
- We do not take new LAN programs or utilities.
- All the programs / documentations /announcements must be in